20 September 2023
Beautiful Path Idea using Gardenstone Railway Sleepers
Theresa Gromski, an illustrator and interior stylist from Bournville has shared her DIY garden path design with us. Using our Gardenstone Railway Sleepers, she has transformed her beautiful boho living space. Making it more functional and connecting two areas of the garden together in an aesthetically pleasing and mindful way. Here she shares her story and some of her top tips for the DIYers out there.
Can you tell us a little about your story?
We’ve lived here for 10 years and have spent that time gradually transforming our long narrow garden plot (it’s over 250ft long) When I moved in the garden was completely overgrown with hedges meeting in the middle of the plot and piles of builders' rubble covered in old carpets and weeds!
We’ve done practically all of the work ourselves slowly over time, including a summerhouse, 2 seating areas, a dining area and vegetable garden and cut flower beds.
What are your top 3 Tips for laying the Gardenstone Railway Sleepers?
- The right tools help! A turf cutter for cutting out the grass for your sleeper makes the job so much easier.
- Waiting till the turf is damp after a period of rain will help. Cutting rock-hard turf is no fun! Plus you’ll be able to lift the turf so much easier (often in one piece) if the soil is damp.
- Ensuring you lay a layer of sharp sand under your sleeper and laying the sleeper so it is level with the top of your turf level to ensure easy mowing of the grass.
What are your final thoughts on the railway sleepers now they are all laid?
I love the railway sleeper stepping stones. First of all they look exactly like reclaimed wooden sleepers, you’d never be able to tell the difference but they are far more practical than wooden sleepers, no rotting so will last far longer. Once laid as well they create a beautiful and interesting route through my garden. Not only looking good but providing a practical route through the garden avoiding damaging the lawn in the colder wetter months when repeated footfall on the lawn was causing damage. They also look good at all times of day!
How have you found working with Westminster Stone?
Working with Westminster Stone was brilliant! Great communication so I knew exactly when my delivery would arrive plus lots of info on their website about the products.
I’m an illustrator/blogger and interior stylist living in the beautiful suburb of Bournville in Birmingham with my husband and 2 children. @Theresa_Gromski
Gardenstone Railway Sleepers
A concrete and wood effect replica of old worn railway sleepers. These are a durable and long-lasting alternative to real wood. The Concrete Replica Railway Sleeper 830mm is popularly used in garden designs as an alternative to border edging or as a rustic garden path.
- Hard-wearing and frost-resistant, perfectly suited to the UK climate.
- Riven textured surface finish with hand-cut edges, perfect for border edging or within gravel garden paths.
- The Railway sleepers display a wood effect that replicates the surface and appearance of real old worn railway sleepers. Perfect for traditional and contemporary garden designs.
About the Author
'Sian has been working with us at Westminster Stone for over 5 years and has developed expertise in garden design and landscaping. Her passion for nature extends to tending her own garden, teaching yoga and hiking during her free time.'