20 June 2016
Peoples Choice Award
The Urban Nature Garden
The Urban Nature Garden, designed by multi-award winning garden designer Claudia de Yong won the coveted Peoples Choice Award at BBC Gardeners World Live 2016.
As one of the sponsors of this Show Garden, we are immensely proud of the achievements of the entire team which also led to a Silver Merit Award.
Timeless Traditional Charm
It’s no coincidence that Westminster Stone’s National Trust Hidcote Paving was selected to help achieve the informal cottage garden ambience in “The Peoples Choice Award Garden".
It's refreshing to know that the heart of ‘The People’ was captured again, not by modern contemporary cutting edge design and materials so often used in landscaping today, but by what has been at the Heart of Westminster Stone’s ethos for over three decades: Timeless traditional charm.
The Urban Nature Garden shows how it’s possible to create a traditional English country garden in a small urban space. Practical inspiration highlights the key features:
- A lovely patio area with table & chairs for outdoor dining. Paved using Hidcote Flagstones from our National Trust Cotswold Manor range.
- A small lawned area, seen here with practical stepping stones
- A small pond with water feature, Water can provide a sense of tranquility and attracts wildlife (this one managed to attract some frogs!)
- Soft cottage style planting including lavender, trailing roses, clematis, foxgloves and wild meadow flowers, edged by our National Trust Snowshill Shingle.
- A traditional brick path leads to a small shed housing garden essentials and dirty tools.
- A small pottage for vegetables - ‘growing your own’ is so popular now and is possible even in the smallest of urban gardens.
- Fun features! This garden included a specially commissioned Insect Hotel and woven Badgers.
Who Was Involved?
Garden Designer: Claudia de Yong
Landscapers: The Garden Makers
Lights, Camera, Action
TV Gardening personality Joe Swift was filmed visiting the garden as part of BBC Gardeners World coverage which aired on BBC2.